Tuesday, August 5, 2014

To Do in 2014: Update

I know it's such a cliché to say this, but I can't believe we're already over halfway through 2014. It's crazy to think that this time last year I was packing my belongings into two suitcases, saying many tough goodbyes, and heading back to the States. After spending a year in Germany where each day presented the opportunity for adventure, I was worried that everyday life in the States would seem mundane by comparison. 

While I do miss Germany terribly, I'm grateful that this year has proven to be an exciting one. From working on interesting projects at my first "real" job at a public policy consulting firm to traveling to both the East and West coasts, the first half of 2014 has been good to me. I've also managed to make some progress on my To-Do list. Here's what I've been up to:

1. New books
I finished Gone Girl in June and I’m working on The Nine and The Invention of Wings right now. Reviews to come!

2. New documentaries
I watched The Case Against 8 when it premiered on HBO in June, and I would highly recommend it.

5. Go one week without hitting the snooze button
Believe it or not, this was accomplished during March when I was beginning to think winter was here to stay, GoT style. 

6. Make homemade pasta
I made pasta for my parents in May. You can learn how to make homemade pasta here!

8. Travel to a new place
I’ve been able to visit a couple of new places so far this year. I went to Charlottesville in April and Portland and Seattle in May. I also spent some time in the Olympic National Park, which I would highly recommend.

12. Row
My friend and I joined the Lansing Rowing Club for the summer. I definitely prefer sweep rowing and I’m rusty after not rowing for 3 years, but it has been really nice to get back out on the water.

17. Go swimming in the Pacific
This is a partial completion—I waded into the Pacific, but it was too cold for swimming!

18. Spend a weekend in Detroit
We saw Vampire Weekend in concert, visited Eastern Market and Belle Isle, and saw a Roller Derby bout at the Masonic Temple.
 
Detroit Derby Girls
19. Go hiking
We went on a couple of short hikes in Olympic National Park. I would love to do a weekend hiking trip this fall, but I doubt that will be possible... Another time!

21. M-22 Race
My friend Jessica and I did the M-22 race in June. It’s a running, biking, and kayaking race by the Sleeping Bear Dunes. Definitely a fun weekend!
M-22 Challenge: Check

24. Volunteer
I have been going door-to-door for our State Rep, who is up for reelection this November. Canvassing is not something that I naturally enjoy, but it’s one of the most effective ways to campaign.

29. Visit the Broad Art Museum
Lydia and I visited the museum on a snowy day in March. It was... interesting. I don’t think I will ever truly understand modern art, but I think it’s great to have such a renowned piece of architecture in our community.

30. Treat my parents to dinner
My parents have done more for me than I could ever possibly thank them for, but I wanted to do something to show them how grateful I am. In celebration of our trip to Ireland last year, I treated my parents to fish and chips, Guinness, and Smithwick's.



31. Floss daily for one month
I started flossing before bed in January, and I’m still going strong in August. Sadly my hygienist failed to notice at my dentist appointment in June.

35. Wake up at 5, gym at 5:30 for two weeks straight
Also completed in the dead of winter. How did I used to be able to do this every day, all year long?


The second half of 2014 is looking to be exciting, too. I will be moving to Ann Arbor and beginning my first semester of law school at the University of Michigan in less than a month! 

2014, you're not too shabby after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment