Wednesday, March 19, 2014

St. Patrick's Day [Weekend] in the Windy City

Roughly two months ago, I suggested to Jessica, one of my best friends who currently lives in New York, that we should visit one of her best friends living in Chicago, Eric, for St. Patrick's Day weekend. It seemed like a far-fetched plan when I first suggested it, but less than a week later her flight and my megabus/train were booked. I love when travel ideas come together like that!

With all of the snow and consistent temperatures below freezing/in the single digits, mid-March -- and this trip -- really crept up on me. The Midwest finally got a couple of days in the 40s the week of the trip (with 5 inches of snow in-between, naturally). Although Sunday got to be pretty cold again and my hair froze when we walked to Lake Michigan, the sunshine on Friday and Saturday was a great reminder that spring is just around the corner.

Although St. Patrick's Day fell on a Monday this year, the city still celebrates over the weekend. St. Patty's Day in Chicago is probably best known for the river, which is dyed green on Saturday morning. It's pretty neat to see, but I'm not sure if I want to know what they use to turn the water so green.




As they say in Ireland, the weekend was mighty good Craic.






No comments:

Post a Comment